Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Conflict of Interest Part I

"Ya know, it's not only what you say, but it's the way you say it," Scott said as he sipped on his coffee.

Jan, who was mixing honey into her peppermint tea, paused slightly and then played with the stir stick with the tip of her finger. "Just what ever do you mean by that?" she replied in a playful tone as she lifted the stir stick and flicked a little tea at Scott's face.

Scott quickly threw up his hand in defense and let out a loud laugh. Some of the people sitting at the tables around them paused and turned their heads slightly in amusement, but then quickly went back to their own conversations. The coffee shop was busy as it usually was for their Sunday noon coffee sessions. They had both agreed to try a new drink that day. Scott gave up his regular lemon herbal tea for a Caramel Corretto and Jan went with tea to replace her large dark roast which she usually loaded up with sugar.

"Geez, save some honey for the bees," Scott had teased when Jan squeezed a quarter of bottle of honey into the extra large foam cup.

"That's how I stay so sweet," Jan countered in the most fabricated, sweetest voice she could. Scott then faked a gag reflex complete with bulging eyes.

"I can't believe it's been three weeks since we last did this," remarked Scott, "so what's new with you?"

"Not too much actually. Exams are over, so that's a huge load off. Wrote my last one yesterday," said Jan, trying to acquire a taste for the highly recommended tea.

Scott noticed the furled brows on Jan's face as she sipped on her cup. "Not your cup of tea huh?" He chuckled at his own witticism, "just give it some time, the peppermint really invigorates."

"Needs more honey," Jan said between sips, slightly looking up from her cup to see Scott's eyes roll up into his head, "Ha ha, don't worry, I'll stick with it just because you recommended it." Then remembering Scott's original thought, Jan said "And what do you mean it's the way I say it?"

"Well, you asked 'Why do guys always misunderstand me?' " started Scott, doing his not-so-best impression of Jan, "Don't you know that..." he had to pause to dodge a playful slap from his coffee partner "...body language and tone can change the meaning of words?"

So what do you guys think so far? This is a little something I JUST made up. It took me about 30 minutes to write. Where is this story line going to go? Let's just say that the title is a little hint, not like that really helps since even *I'm* not too sure about the details. I have the major plot details in my head. I just hope the don't get lost with other random thoughs that often cross my mind. I'm not even sure how many parts this story will be. Hopefully I'll continue writing as I get insipired! Drop me a comment, let me know what you think.

"Insanity isn't only a by-product of self-discovery, but sometimes is the
final product"- SunriseSeeker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

get inspired fast! ;) so we'll have more to read!

~hidden

SunriseSeeker said...

You know as well as I do. Inspirations comes... when it comes. Hehe.