Wednesday, April 27, 2005

For Winter's Snow

It's the end of April and it's snowing in some parts of my city. Yep, Edmonton, where it once snowed in the middle of June. There's a saying about Alberta: "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes." Anyway, this cold weather reminded me of a poem I wrote a while back called Winter's Snow. I wrote it while studying at the University of Alberta, in the Student's Union Building (SUB). It was winter of course, and it was a beautiful day, the Sun was beaming and its light perfectly highlighted a fresh snowfall from the night before. I was studying near a window and looked out; I love the frosted look of trees and buildings a fresh snowfall brings. Add to that a clear blue sky and the Sun's warmth making everything glow... inspiration was instantaneous. I wrote this poem in about 5 minutes and took another 5 to edit it.

For Winter's Snow

They kiss the ground
so soft and pure.
Without a sound,
My heart they lure.
Into a trance
My thoughts do flow,
My mind does dance
For winter's snow.

With life they drift,
Soft as a feath'r.
Yes, nature's gift,
'Gainst cold weather.
Like l'amour in France
My feelings show,
My heart does dance
For winter's snow.

Snow swept scenes,
Come, hear me shout,
The summer greens
I can do without.
And if by chance
These flakes do go,
My soul will still dance
For winter's snow.

No comments: