Sunday, April 10, 2005

Do Not Fix Me I'm Not Broken

"You gotta hit rock bottom." I know we've all heard it. It's almost a cliche. What I'm here to do today, is to explain why sometimes, we DO have to hit rock bottom, and how it can be a very rewarding experience. When I say rock bottom, I don't mean just being broken here or there, I am talking about the total and utter shattering of one's non-physical self. How can such a catastrophic event be therapeutic? When one have nothing to lose, this is when one can ask the most difficult and honest questions about one's self and also produce the most truthful and unwanted answers. Rock bottom is the best time for self reflection and self discovery. The ascension out of the pit is a process of picking up the pieces and trying to rebuild. There is much strength required to pick up those pieces of yourself and start bonding those pieces not knowing what the final sculpture will be. It's like walking a path to which the destination is unknown. The cracks in the sculpture where the pieces fit together are part of the new you, they are integral to the finished product. Don't let them be the weakpoints in the rebuilt you. Instead, treat them like scars: they are tougher than the skin underneath. That's the difference between the weak and the strong, is how they choose to live with their imperfections and defeats. The cracks that you see are my battle scars, they are as important as the finished product itself. Me? Don't try and fix me, I'm not broken.

"Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke

No comments: