Thursday, April 21, 2005

Definition of Love?

I find it funny when people ask, "What is love?" or "How do you know when you're in love?" because my explanation is so long winded. You see, the problem with answering those questions is that love exists on so many levels. Friends, family, significant other, even something you LOVE to do. No matter which of these categories it exists in, if you love something, it will lighten your heart and make you smile, even if only on the inside, when you think of it. The feeling of love for me, propels me to seek out its source, expend all your energies to be with it, and fight for it till I can't fight anymore. Everyone falls in love, but it's not always with a person. Some people love their work, others love a hobby. Love is a paradox: how can the purest and simplest of feelings cause so much confusion? The reason why there's no ONE feeling of love, is because it is grown, grown inside of us. No one can thrust love upon you, take your head and drown you in a pool of it. And since each one of us is an individual, the feelings of love that we grow, are just as individual. That is why I cannot tell you whether you're in love or not. I myself have been in love a few times, have had love change from a deep, boyfriend/girlfriend love to a platonic friend love and even vice versa. How do you know when you're in love? Only you can answer that question.

This quote comes from one of my heroes in life. If I could sit down and chat with ANYONE in the world, dead or alive, it would be Albert Einstein. The reason why I think he's a genius, is not only because of all of his incredible discoveries, but because how he can take his most complex ideas and translate them so that mere idiots (like me) can understand them. I believe that is where true intelligence comes in, is in being able to take a complex idea and mentally rotate and transform it so you can introduce that idea in others in an understandable and comprehensible way.

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." - Albert Einstein

No comments: