Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Keep Your Eye Off the Prize

Quite often people have a grand plan to do something but quite often never get around to it because they think that it's too far away so they never begin the journey. This has often come up in my life because people are asking me how to keep fit or lose weight. I tell them "Even a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first few small steps." Some people are too focused on the large goal to see the intermediate steps in between and get discouraged enough to not even take the steps. I know most of you already know this, but it begs reiteration: Larger goals are accomplished by setting smaller goals. Take the huge leap forward you want to make and break it down into smaller, "within sight, within reach", bunny hops. For example when I run 10K, I don't start the run by saying ok, "let's do this 10K!" I take a long run like that 1 kilometer at a time. Sometimes it's good to actually lose focus and just do something without thinking to much about it.

My quote for this entry is already in there. So yah, imma cheat this post and just say read the white bolded words in quotes.

No comments: