Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Asking the Right Questions

I'm a firm believer in growing. I never want to stop growing. I like expanding my horizons, trying new things. I don't mean physical events like skydiving (which I still need to do) or eating new foods, I mean exploring different ways of thinking, different dogma, different situations. I believe that you should shake your foundations, ask yourself what you believe in and why. Ask yourself why you haven't done something you'd really like to do, list the reasons preventing you, and then start on ways of elminating those reasons. Self-discovery is a process that should end only in death (or perhaps when you're very very old). It's unfortunate, but most of us only explore our deep inner-selves only when we hit rock bottom. But that's understandable. Why ask a question when an answer is not required? I have to admit, I was that way. In fact, I do my deepest thinking when I'm lonely, or depressed. But I've learned to "think" even when I am not unhappy. The thing is, I've met people who don't seem interested in expanding themselves, even when all it takes is asking the right questions. On the other hand, I've met people who make me look at things in a new light. I've also met a few people who inspire me to ask the right questions. I've met even fewer people who I can discuss those questions with. Meeting someone who isn't afraid to broaden their horizons and helps me widen my own is extremely rare. I can say I have only met 2 people like that in my life. I hope all of you reading this have someone out there who makes you want to be a better person and helps you in some way of achieving it.

"Beauty - If you're attractive enough on the outside, people will forgive you for being irritating to the core." - Quote from Demotivators Calendar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, meeting people who'll broaden your horizon is extremely rare. You're lucky in that you have met two such people already. That's something to be cherished. It's the quality not the quantity that counts.

I've never met somebody like that. Or perhaps I have, but I've never let that person have an opportunity to get into my life such that he/she could help me grow. As the saying goes, you've got to give a little to take a little. But giving a little seems so difficult and scary at times. It's time for me to ask some hard (and hopefully right) questions...

Thanks for the inspirational entry.

SunriseSeeker said...

I hope you find your Sunrise. Continue seeking and don't let darkness deter you.