Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Struggles Within

I'm my own worst enemy. Is that necessarily a bad thing though? I am my own worst antagonist. Maybe it's not so bad? I make my life much more complex than necessary. But it's for my own good.

There are 2 different voices inside of me, often wanting 2 different things. I used to be a creature who followed his heart, but the consequences of that were often a painful life lesson. I learned the hard way to surround my passion in what I thought was the protective shell of logic. I went from one extreme to the other. Again, more pain followed and once more I was taught a precept in life: balance. Everything in this world is centres around balance. Yin must have it's Yang, Dark must try and drown out Light, Good must bring order to Evil... balance! For me, it's a balance of Heart vs. Mind. Quite often the 2 don't agree. But that's a good thing right? I've learned to battle my emotions with logic because neither the heart nor the mind individually knows what's best for you. I guess Freud would say something like "eeets yowrr Id versuss yowrr Superego". So my poor Ego has to suffer as it works overtime mediating the battles that occur in my consciousness. I have a very strong (and what some would call strange) sense of morals. My Superego is something that I myself wouldn't want to dissect. It seems like my hedonistic heart always wants the most amount of pleasure for the least amount of effort. I don't know the process of how I developed my rule, but it's my underlying basic rule of thumb "The right thing to do is most often the hardest thing to do." Mind you, that's just a general rule for the important decisions in life. It's not like I'm some super strict maniac bent on denying myself pleasure. I love to have fun too! But I'm talking about the big things here, I don't like to sweat the little things. This post is getting a little long, I have more to say, but maybe we'll make this a 2 part series. =P

"The Universe doesn't keep score, to think so is naive." - Sunrise Seeker

No comments: