Sunday, November 05, 2006

I'd Rather You Hate Me For Who I Am...

...rather than like me for who I am not.

Growing up, I've seen a lot of fake people. I've befriended fake people (before I knew their true colours), been betrayed and hurt by them. Everyone wants to be liked, well almost everyone anyway. Some people though, go a little overboard to be accepted or liked. Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't be nice to people because that would be fake. What I mean to say is that you shouldn't hide things about yourself, or be someone you're not just to impress others. Sooner or later the truth is going to come out and then what?

This is how I live my life: take me for who I am, know me before you judge me, if you dislike me after you get to know me, I'm not going to go out of my way to convince you to like me. All I want, is for people to like me/dislike me for the right reasons. Remember my mantra of moderation is the key to life? Well this also applies here. I'm not saying you should overwhelm people you meet with your personality either. Don't just lay all your cards out on the table. A little caution, timing, and tact (but not guile, there is a difference) is sometimes required, or else people will just think you're overbearing, arrogant, and/or attention seeking. I know I've been called those on occasion. In my defense, I admit I can be an expressive person who isn't afraid to show his emotion at times, or his opinion. And to top it off I don't get embarrassed easily. I'm not out here to make friends with everyone. Those who are my friends, those who care about me, those who love me, are there for me for the right reasons.

No comments: