Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Dangers of Default Emotions Part 2

This entry is about a discussion of the temporal importance of default emotions. When we hear something that upsets us greatly, I think it is extremely important to take a break before reacting to the news. I think it's paramount to let the news soak in, let your heart and your brain adjust to the news. Give your brain time to use logic to control the wild emotions racing through your veins. Depending on how you handle emotion and how heavy the news is, I think it may take anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of days. I know in my younger years I've done many rash things that I've regretted in the heat of the moment. It is also important I think to give other people the same consideration. What I mean is that if you know someone has just heard something that upsets them, maybe be a little more lenient with your forgiveness if they do something dumb, or something that's out of character. Let them know that you understand what they're doing is probably from rage or pain, and that you won't hold it against them, that you'll give them sometime to let the news sink in, and after it has, to talk to you again. Just remember that a little forgiveness and understanding can go a long way.

"Indifference - It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face." - Another wonderful Demotivators quote

2 comments:

Danskee said...

It's your old aquintance Dan from the CSA fashion show days. how's it going?

I read most of your BLOG from the beginning. i'm very glad you didn't go through with what you were thinking about in your first post.

I skimmed over some of your more wordy posts, but alot of them made me realize things about myself and help me put things a bit more into perspective. I'm starting my own business very soon, and needless to say, I'm very stressed, but your BLOG has de-stressed me for a little while here....so THANK YOU

SunriseSeeker said...

I've been good Dan. But wellness is a matter of perspective and self-regulated relevance hehe.

I'm glad my words can trigger introspection as this is what this blog is all about. Thanks for taking the time to read my words and good luck on your business!